1. There stands an old temple at the top of the hill.
→ At the top of the hill there stands an old temple. 在小山顶上有一座古庙。
2. You can do it well only in this way.
→ Only in this way can you do it well. 只有这样你才能把它做好。
3. A young woman sat by the window.
→ By the window sat a young woman. 窗户边坐着一个年轻妇女。
4. The door opened and Mr Smith came in.
→ The door opened and in came Mr Smith. 门开了，史密斯先生走了进来。
在太原艺考生文化课补习时为了使表达更生动，更富表现力，艺考生在写作时应尽量避免重复使用同一词语来表示同一意思，尤其是一些老生常谈的词语。如有的同学一看到“喜欢”二字，就会立刻想起like，事实上，英语中表示类似意思的词和短语很多，如 love, enjoy, prefer, appreciate, be fond of, care for等。如：
1. I like reading while my brother likes watching television.
→ I like reading while my brother enjoys watching television. 我喜欢看书，而我兄弟喜欢看电视。
1. He may be busy. If he’s busy, I’ll call later. If he is not busy, can I see him now?
→ He may be busy. If so, I’ll call later. If not, can I see him now? 他可能很忙，要是这样，我以后再来拜访。要是不忙，我现在可以见他吗?
2. If the weather is fine, we’ll go. If it is not fine, we’ll not go.
→ If the weather is fine, we’ll go. If not, not. 如果天气好，我们就去；如果天气不好，我们就不去了。
3. She could have applied for that job, but she didn’t do so.
→ She could have applied for that job, but she didn’t. 她本可申请这份工作的，但她没有。
1. When he heard the news, they all jumped for joy.
→ Hearing the news, they all jumped for joy. 听了这消息他们都高兴得跳了起来。
2. As I didn’t know her address, I wasn’t able to get in touch with her.
→ Not knowing her address, I wasn’t able to get in touch with her. 由于不知道她的地址，我没法和她联系。
3. As he was born into a peasant family, he had only two years of schooling.
→ Born into a peasant family, he had only two years of schooling. 他出生农民家庭，只上过两年学。
At noon we had a picnic lunch in the sunshine. Then we had a short rest. Then we began to play happily. We sang and danced. Some told stories. Some played chess.
→ At noon we had a picnic lunch in the sunshine. After a short rest, we had great fun singing and dancing, telling jokes and playing chess. 中午我们晒着太阳吃野餐。休息一会儿后，我们唱的唱歌，跳的跳舞，还有的讲笑话、下棋，大家玩得很开心。
1. He has decided to be a teacher when he grows up.
→ He has made up his mind to be a teacher when he grows up. 他已决定长大了当老师。
2. He doesn't like music.
→ He doesn't care much for music. 他不大喜欢音乐。
3. Sometimes I met Jane in the supermarket.
→ Sometimes I came across Jane in the supermarket. 有时我在超级市场碰见简。
4. He told me that the question was now under discussion.
→ He told me that the question was now being discussed. 他告诉我问题现正正在讨论中。
1. He was very tired. He couldn’t walk any farther.
→ He was too tired to walk any farther. 他太累了，不能再往前走了。
2. The film was very interesting. Both the teachers and the students liked it.
→ The film was so interesting that both the teachers and the students liked it. 这电影很有趣，学生和老师都很喜欢。
3. Your son is old. He can look after himself now.
→ Your son is old enough to look after himself now. 你的儿子已经长大，可以自己照顾自己了。
1. Now everyone knows the news. I think Jim must have let it out.
→ Now everyone knows the news. I think it must have been Jim who has let it out. 现在人人都知道这消息了，我想一定是吉姆把它泄露出去的。
2. We had to stand there to catch the offender.
→ What we had to do was (to) stand there, trying to catch the offender. 我们所能做的只是站在那儿，设法抓住违章者。
3. If her pronunciation is not better than her teacher’s, it is at least as good as her teacher’s.
→ Her pronunciation is as good as, if not better than, her teacher’s. 如果她的语音不比她的老师好的话，至少也不会比她老师的差。
1. A contented mind is perpetual feast. 知足常乐。
2. A friend in need is a friend indeed. 患难见知己。
3. Actions speak louder than words. 事实胜于雄辩。
4. A good medicine tastes bitter.良药苦口。
5. A man can do no more than he can.量力而行。
6. Better early than late. 宁早勿迟。
7. Early sow, early mow. 早耕耘，早收获。
8. Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes. 经验是人们加给自己所犯错误的名称。
9. Every advantage has its disadvantage. 有利必有弊。
10. Every little makes a nickel. 积少成多。
11. Fortunate never helps the man whose course fails. 运气永远不会帮助没有勇气的人。
12. Failure teaches success. 成功乃失败之母.
13. God helps those that help themselves. 天助自助者。
14. Haste makes waste. 欲速则不达。
15. Health is better than wealth. 健康胜于财富。
16. It is never too late to learn. 学习永远不嫌晚。
17. Look before you leap. 三思而后行。
18. No pains, no gains. 不劳无获。
19. Practice makes perfect. 熟能生巧。
20. Rome is not built in a day. 罗马非一日之功。
21. Self-trust is the first secret of success. 自信是成功的第一秘诀。
22. Something attempt, something done. 有尝试就有收获。
23. Seeing is believing. 眼见为实。
24. Time waits for no man. 时不我待。
25. Things done can not be undone. 覆水难收。
26. There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. 只有一种成功，那就是以自己的方式度过一生。
27. Where there is a will, there is a way.有志者事竟成。
28. Well begun is half done. 良好的开端是成功的一半。
29. When at Rome, do as the Romans do. 入乡随俗。